Please, for the love of all that's good in this world:
- Shut up about the good ol' days when we still had prayer in public schools.
- Shut up about violent video games and that infernal so-called rock and roll music.
- Shut up about mental illness.
- Shut up about too many entrances and exits on school buildings.
- Shut up about distributing guns to teachers and school staff.
- Recognize and admit that, while a nation owning more than 300 million firearms is not, on its own, the recipe for mass shootings at schools and elsewhere, it is the primary ingredient. Easy access to firearms—even your dad's legally purchased guns—makes shooting and killing multiple persons a helluva lot easier.
- Recognize and admit that the United States has created a uniquely violent society, thanks mostly to a foreign policy that responds to every nation's attempt at resisting our global capitalist empire with massive violence and environmental devastation.
In the matter of the Santa Fe High School shooting, current reports indicate yet another alienated suburban white kid on a mission to kill himself and take some teachers and classmates along. But not only did he fail to kill himself, the Galveston County Sheriff's Deputies didn't finish the job for him, even after he shot and wounded one of them. (Yes, little Santa Fe, Texas, has grown into a suburban municipality.)
I suppose we can be grateful that this incident did not involve an AR-15, so there will be no inane online debates between "Ban all assault weapons now!" and "The AR is not an assault weapon, duh!" I suppose we can be grateful that the deputies didn't add to the carnage by killing Dimitrios Pagourtzis, and hopeful that law enforcement can show similar restraint when, say, they catch a young black man jaywalking.
The Texas Progressive Alliance weeps for the families of the Santa Fe victims, the latest in America's ongoing carnage of gun violence and the predictable aftermath of excuse-making and inaction by our bought-and-paid-for lawmakers.