HCGP has a history of losing valuable people like Earl to burnout, death, moving away, or the border collie howl of progressive Democrats running for president. Earl faded away without much fanfare due to some combination of factors.
The 2004 Green National Convention was one of the biggest highlights of my activity within the party: seven of us in a rented van that left San Antonio one evening night, stopped to pick up some Dallas folks in the middle of the night, and continued on to Milwaukee & back. Sooooo many cool memories:
- kat swift (now katija gruene) and Jolene Garcia working some magic to stop a state trooper in Melissa, Texas, from giving us a speeding ticket
- staying in the summer hostel at Marquette
- Medea Benjamin pouring me beers at the street festival we set up, where Michell Shocked performed
- eating lunch and reading the platform in its entirety, thinking, "Yes! This is exactly the kind of world I want to live in!"
- the Texas delegation passing during the second-round delegate count in order to be the state that, in English y en español, put David Cobb over the hump to defeat "None of the Above (& endorse Ralph Nader's independent campaign)"
- kat taking a driving shift on the way back and jamming ABBA and Blondie on the stereo